Tuesday, December 20, 2011

working during the holidays

We are getting ready for our first Christmas (really) since living together. Before the Army got in the way of us spending this holiday together and then last year at my old job I worked 12 hour shifts December 23-26th...It was a lot like watching other people be excited for Christmas time and not really being in the spirit since Sweeties whole family came to town and i was able to see them for about an hour before needing to go to bed. This year I have a new job and a new lease on life. We are in a much happier place and we will be able to go to his family Christmas because I work the overnight shift and am very happy.
Has anyone else ever worked for a total scrooge/dream squashing/clueless dictator/favorite playing psycho...or is that just me and the people I used to work with? How do you deal with that? My old boss was so rude to the majority of employees and was clueless to our needs for getting our jobs done but also just having a personal life at all. I literally had 2 days off in 3 months because I was called in every day off I had because her favorites were calling in to go to hockey games and drink. Needless to say, I did not lose any sleep when I lost that job. I found out that the 6 of us that worked constantly and asked her for a little recognition and went over her head to disclose the issues of absent employees and being taken advantage of all got fired by her though she did not give anyone a real reason. And then 15 people quit in the next 5 weeks...I'm smiling as I write this because she made our lives miserable and I hope for a minute maybe she thought the problem could have been her.
Well that vent felt good...
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has suffered through the holidays with a boss that forgets that their employees have families and traditions that they would like to get to participate in also. Aside from going home for Christmas to New Hampshire I think this is the best I can get right now and I'm ecstatic!!!! I love it :-) 12 hours with family. No worries or cares just happiness and love.

I don't even know how many readers I have but I hope you all take advantage of the time you have if you work during the holidays and don't let this time of year become a series of chores. Have the girls over for a cookie bake-off and swap and maybe a wrapping party...if everyone brings their gifts and a roll of paper/bows/tape/ribbons and add wine..BOOM Party! Bake some cookies and give them to coworkers and friends and be happy that you made someone happy! Dont identify everything with "Gahh I still have too...." and then "I have to do this and that." No, put some exclamation points in your life and love the little things you GET to do!!! so go bake and wrap friends! wait..Go bake and Wrap, (comma) friends...!!!!!

No comments: